Leaky roofing and leaky pipes can cause a lot of damage to a house. If you don't act quickly, these two problems can result in major repairs that can get quite costly and complicated. My blog will show you how to identify these problem areas and how to judge the severity of the damage sustained. Having restored a few homes over the years before selling them, I have a lot of experience working with water damaged homes. I hope that all of the information that I have included here in this blog will help you get through the process with fewer issues.
Signs of a potential mold problem include a musty smell or the appearance of what looks like a darker than normal shadow or stain. Mold requires a high humidity level to grow, so reducing the humidity in a room can limit the risk for mold growth. While it may not seem to be that big of a deal, having mold growing in a home can cause some serious problems. It's important to get rid of it as soon as possible, as removal is much easier when the problem is discovered in the early stages. In some cases, this may require a specialist that deals with mold removal, as the source of the mold could be hidden behind a wall or under the carpet.
Can Cause Structural Damage
Molds survive by digesting whatever surface they are growing on, meaning that they will destroy these surfaces. This could lead to structural damage and the need to replace some parts of the home to make it safe to live in. The more quickly a mold problem is discovered and dealt with, the less likely there is to be any lasting damage to the home.
Some People Are Allergic
A number of people are particularly sensitive to mold. When they inhale the spores released by molds or touch mold itself, it can cause an allergic reaction with symptoms including red eyes, sneezing, skin rash and a runny nose. The more times a person is exposed to the mold, the more sensitive they may become to it, and the worse the reaction could become.
Can Cause or Worsen Respiratory Ailments
In people with asthma, exposure to mold can trigger an attack and worsen asthma symptoms. It can also cause a condition called hypersensitivity pneumonitis, although this isn't very common. In people with compromised immune systems, the mold can start growing on the person's lungs if they inhale it, which can cause serious medical problems.
Other Unexplained Illnesses
Should someone in your home begin to suffer from an unexplained illness, it could be due to mold in the home. Mold contains large numbers of mycotoxins, which are toxic substances that can cause illnesses and damage your health. Toxins released by mold can cause a number of symptoms, including nausea, diarrhea, rashes and irritation of the mucus membranes. They can increase the risk for liver cancer, Organic Dust Toxic Syndrome, nervous system or liver damage and a weakened immune system.
For help with mold removal, contact a service like Firewater Restoration Services.Share